Wednesday, April 27, 2016

Should You Flake on "Flaked"?

Will Arnett's new show on Netflix feels difficult to get lost in, not the type of comedy attached to Arnett's name.

Image credit: Netflix
  
In recent years, we’ve seen a huge surge in original content from popular streaming services, especially Netflix. It seems like every time we log in to binge watch our favorite shows, Netflix has thrown three more new shows in our faces. Within the past few months, Netflix has released shows “Love”, “Fuller House”, “The Ranch”, and many others, including Will Arnett’s “Flaked”. I watched the eight-episode-long premiere season within a couple days and I had mixed feelings about it.

“Flaked” focuses on a recovering alcoholic, 12 years sober, and his willingness to help everyone around him while personally and covertly spiraling out of control. Before I hit play, I noticed Will Arnett’s name, which grabbed my attention (because who doesn’t love Will Arnett?). After I learned Arnett was the star, I fully expected to sit back and have a good laugh at a comedy.

I was wrong. I spent the whole first episode waiting for the jokes to start, for the mood to lighten. Yes, Will Arnett is a fantastic actor for both comedy and drama, but the dark tone took me off guard, and I was a little disappointed. I was stressed with school; I was escaping from reality; I wanted something light-hearted. When I realized I was in for drama and emotional stories, I considered quitting and starting a new show. But the uniqueness of the show kept me curious. Even though I was disappointed at the lack of laugh-out-loud comedy, I continued watching the next seven episodes.

The visuals were captivating, and after I accepted the solemnity and a few instances of dark comedic dialogue, I could not get used to the slow pace. Once again, possibly an accurate portrayal of life in Venice (I’ve never been there), but the slow pace was very difficult for me to get sucked into. It seemed like little happened in each episode, and I waited for answers for what felt like hours.

While the storylines were dramatic and the characters were both likeable and flawed, the slow pace makes me reluctant to watch the next season (if there is one). The show has set up several storylines to continue, such as London’s ex-fiance and Chip’s divorce; however, it only committed a handful of scenes throughout all eight episodes to those arcs. I did not have enough time to become invested in the long-term conflicts, allowing me to move on with my life, on to a new show, and not return to “Flaked”.

Image credit: Netflix
If you’re looking for a unique yet unexciting show to impress your hipster friends with, check out “Flaked” on Netflix. But if you want something to escape from reality, give you a laugh, or make it impossible for you to stop watching, I would look for a different show.

No comments:

Post a Comment